Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

Our dog is a golden retriever. He was diagnosed with epilipsy

Our dog is a golden retriever. He was diagnosed with epilipsy at the beginning of last year. He is now six years old and since September his frequency of fits has increased. He is on epithen, peximon and now libromide for the last five weeks. In the last week he has episodes of disorientation to the extent where we gave up counting. He also had a full fit on Tuesday morning. Our vet suggested trying the human epilepsy tablets but suggested we only try two weeks worth. With much heart wrenching we decided we didn't want to put him through anymore. He is booked in tomorrow morning for the last time. Are we doing the right thing? Our hearts are breaking.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. I'm very sorry to hear about this situation with your guy. Did you then try the two weeks worth of the human epilepsy medication to see how that helped? How often are the seizures happening now in say the last 6 months?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

we decided we didn't want to go down the human route. The fits and general out of it episodes are happening weekly, and sometimes daily. He had so many on Tuesday we lost count. It was every half hour.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for that information. I'm sorry to hear that they progressed to this frequency / degree. Some epileptic dogs can be very challenging to impossible to get good control on their seizures. It can take up to a couple months for the libromide to get up to therapeutic / steady state levels in the blood - unless a loading period was done at the beginning (usually over 4 weeks) to get it up faster. If the epithen levels have been in the therapeutic range on blood tests towards the higher end, then there isn't much option to increase that there. The use of the human antiseizure medications can be the next step to finally get better control of the seizures, but they too might not be enough. I will routinely use Levitiracetam or Zonisamide in those more difficult to control cases when needed. They can in a lot of those cases the medication that finally made the situation bearable. Know that nothing is curing the epilepsy, the seizures will continue but just hopefully at less of a frequency or severity.
In saying all this, I don't want you to feel you're doing the wrong thing at this time. I just want you to know that these medications have a chance of helping, just not a guarantee. For that owner that was at the point of not wanting the seizures to get worse, or having to see their loved one go through more, euthanasia is a definite option. Here is a link I wanted you to read on seizures and the medications for them.
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=560