Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

11 yr old bulldog keeps squatting for a wee, difficulty weeing

Customer Question

11 yr old bulldog keeps squatting for a wee, difficulty weeing , spots of blood instead of urine, seems well enough in herself.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Any pre existing medical conditions?
3- Any other symptoms?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1. only notice d this evening on our walk, squatted maybe a dozen times so I had a check and saw only a few blood spots come out as she was trying to wee, seemed ok yesterday on walk. During today she has asked to go into the garden a bit more than normal, squats, scratches turf, comes in like normal.Happy enough in herself.

2. nothing for many years . She had prolapse when we found her near 10 yrs ago and an abcess after the surgery to remove all girlie bits. Nothing internally since.

3 not that I can see she is walking about our hall at the moment in her old lady plod style and 'talking' to me (its nearly time for night time treat before bedding down.) She acts as the shop steward for our 4 dogs saying i'm late!

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Keith, the history and symptoms you are describing are consistent with a urinary tract infection. You see, the increase in frequency to urinate is because she has an infection that is causing irritation (inflammation) of the urethra (tube connecting bladder to vagina). When the urethra is inflamed it gives the feeling of having to urinate, this is why she is going more frequent; the increase in frequency does not allow the bladder to accumulate enough urine and only produces a small amount of urine every attempt. Other possible causes could be bladder stones. She will need to be seen by your family veterinarian to rule out bladder stones and start her on oral antibiotics. In the meantime, make sure she has plenty of water, the flushing action of water helps with the infection.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much, very appreciated , I will book her in tomorrow,

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome Keith, she will do great.

May you have a Happy & Blessed New Year!

Dr. Peter