Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

my dog will eat her own poo which in turn makes her vomit.

Customer Question

my dog will eat her own poo which in turn makes her vomit. How can I stop her? I have tried everything.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about Rosie's problem. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
Has she always done this, or is a recent problem?
Have you tried "Forbid", a product made just for this problem:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=595
If it is a recent change, she might be telling us there is something wrong inside her going on. If she has not had a recent complete physical examination, that is where I would start if my own dog started to do this.
If a physical exam, and maybe some blood tests reveal no problems, this could be a early sign of senility/brain aging if this is a recent change in her. Adding anti oxidants to her diet may help with that. There is a great anti oxidant formula made for dogs called Cell Advance, available online without a prescription.
Let me know what other questions you have.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating.
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This has been an ongoing problem with Rosie. She is a dog I rescued at the age of 3yrs (a breeder's cast off) . I was just hoping there was a product out there which would deter and not cause her any harm. I know perhaps it is a feint hope but................fingers crossed you may have the answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
The Forbid usually works well, but not for all dogs. I hope it works for her.
She was probably confined to a small space when she was young, and developed the habit then, so it will be hard to break. Let me know how she is doing.
Rebecca