Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

My 7 month Cavapoo has eaten sone fat from ham joint. Should

My 7 month Cavapoo has eaten sone fat from ham joint. Should we be worried?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.]

Dr. Altman :

Can you please give me an idea of how much fat was ingested? If it was less than a teaspoon you should be alright but if it was several tablespoons it could potentially cause gi upset, vomiting, diarrhea, reduced appetite, even pancreatitis although it would be unusual in such a young dog

Dr. Altman :

As a precaution I would reduce his normal meals for the next few days by 25% and supplement with some white rice and monitor for signs listed above

Dr. Altman :

If he has mildly loose stools then I would monitor him closely but if he develops blood in his stools, vomiting that is not resolving, lethargy with a reduced appetite then I would consider a veterinary exam sooner rather than later

Dr. Altman :

Very likely a young healthy dog will have some mild loose stool for a 24-48 hour period then be back to normal if there are any changes noted at all

Customer:

it was about a tablespoon i think, He was at my inlaws house so not 100% sure

Dr. Altman :

And how long ago was this?

Customer:

about 1 hour ago

Dr. Altman :

OK, well your option is to monitor for any of the gi changes I listed which are very likely to not occur (again possibly loose stool) or consider inducing vomiting to remove it from his system since it was only an hour ago and not digested yet. This would be done with 3% hydrogen peroxide if you have this available

Dr. Altman :

I would be more inclined to monitor him for gi changes at this point because he is a young healthy dog but the other option would put your mind at ease that he will not become ill from the ham fat

Customer:

thanks we will confirm with Inlaws how much it was and then call the vet just to be safe, Thanks for your help really appreciate it.

Dr. Altman :

You are very welcome :)

Dr. Altman :

Enjoy your little Cooper! Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!