Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

2 year old little dog has been back and forth to the vet with

Customer Question

2 year old little dog has been back and forth to the vet with vomiting, tummy pains. Diagnosed with gastritis and taking omeprazole now for past month. Vomiting is less, and vet said there's no abdominal obstruction - but he still whimpers with pains daily, and snapped at a visitor over Christmas who was trying to hug him (he gets irritable when in pain.) Don't want to pester the vet, but feel in my bones that the situation is not resolved. Should I push for a blood test? (Vet already said there's no need).... Not sure what to do now. Advice appreciated. Thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How often is she vomiting?
2- What is in the vomit?
3- Is there a particular time when she vomits?
4- Can you describe her symptoms?
5- Did your vet take xrays or an ultrasound?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He used to vomit about 4 times a week. Sometimes diarrhea too - but that is much less now. Maybe once a week or less. Vomit is frothy (like a big lot of cuckoo spit). Mid afternoon is most likely time now.

Food has been changed to a gastro intestinal mix and that seems to help. Am strict about no treats or left overs.

Symptoms are most whining/whimpering in pain now - mostly mid-afternoon and again around 10 pm. Is irritable and restless. Stretches belly across arm of couch as if to alleviate pain. Am worried about the irritability, lest he snap at someone who insists on putting him to sleep!!

Was taking him to the vet fairly regularly for about a month, and he was getting injections to ease the pains, which helped.... but get the impression vet thinks I'm being fussy. Dog is usually fine in vets office, because he's fine when not in pain!

No xray or ultrasound because vet couldn't feel an obstruction.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- At what time do you feed her?
2- Has she been dewormed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Feed a handful of pellets in the morning now, more at 6 p.m. (He won't eat it from the bowl now as he finds them boring so I handfeed him until he has enough). Yes, they both get dewormed every two months, regular vaccinations etc.

I have a second dog (ten years old) and he gets irritable with her when he seems in pain. He wants a lot of hugs and cuddles when he whimpers.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, there are many different possible causes for vomiting. Based on the history and intermittent episodes of vomiting. It sounds like she may have billious vomiting, this is when the stomach acid causes vomiting. I believe your vet may have suspect this as well as they have her on Omeprazole. I would recommend divide the frequency of the meal to 4-6 times a day. If after changing the feeding pattern the vomiting continues the next step would be doing xrays as initial screening test.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. P
lease do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. My concern is mainly about not wanting to bother the vet too much with this, while at the same time not wanting to neglect the dog! Your reply is in line with my vet's opinion, but so far he sees no need to take it further..x-rays, tests etc..... but I am concerned with the irritability and snapping. We'll see how it goes with feeding 4-6 times per day. I appreciate your input. Thanks.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, your vet is there to take care of your dog and respond to your needs. So, do not feel bad about bothering your vet. If the diet does not work then go ahead and proceed with xrays.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your email. I had an emergency on Friday when he ate a metal tube of hand cream and vet had to induce vomiting! Vet also increased the dosage of omeprazole to 20mg per day, so we'll see how we get on with that. I'm trying to minimize visits to vet, as at this stage I fear I just look like a fussy owner.... but this little fellow needs this level of attention right now so I want to do my best for him without pestering the vet clinic too much. Vet doesn't see a longterm problem here and is confident we'll sort it out, so fingers crossed! He's still in the puppy-chewing stage though, so that doesn't help his tummy.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Good morning, I am happy to learn he is doing ok, thank you for the update.

Dr. Peter