Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have an English Foxhound. He is clearly unhappy and keeps

I have an English Foxhound. He is clearly unhappy and keeps trying to sit on my feet or reverse into me. He can't keep still at all.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How is he doing since you posted the question?
2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He is still doing the 'sitting on our feet' but has let wind a few times which seems to provide momentary relief. He is not vomiting or coughing. His last 'poo' of his walk about 3pm was sloppy but the first 2 were normal for him. We live near a beach so I suspect he has eaten something!

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Any vomiting?
2- Are you see any abdominal swelling?
3- How much does he weigh?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No vomiting. His abdomen feels very 'hard' to the touch. He weighs about 34kg. He's a big foxhound!

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Gina, if he is having excess gas and loose stool it is possible he could be experiencing gastrointestinal discomfort and for this reason he is behaving in this manner. Gastrointestinal disorders can be caused by: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Gas X (simethicone) 100-200mg every 6 hours. You can buy gas x over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have him checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If you notice abdominal distention have him checked immediately by ER veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter