Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My 3 year old boxer male has collapsed twice in the past couple

My 3 year old boxer male has collapsed twice in the past couple of weeks for no apparent reason,once whilst a home and today whilst out on a walk he collapsed again,seemed to stop breathing then recovered and after keeping him quiet for a minute or two,ran around the field as though nothing had happened.We are going to take him to see his vet tomorrow but was wandering if this is a common thing in Boxers.
Thanks in advance,lorraine
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.
I am afraid that it can be common in boxers unfortunately. Boxers are well known for silent (no detectable symptoms) heart disease. Usually a heart condition in a boxer will not have any murmur or any detectable symptom until the heart can no longer keep up with the demands of the body. This usually is first noted during exercise periods where there is a sudden collapse or fainting that occurs. He may not lose consciousness but this sounds very much like heart related collapse. I think you are right to have him checked tomorrow and I would recommend a blood pressure check and a chest xray at a minimum. If we catch heart disease early it can be managed successfully for a long time so your plan to have him checked tomorrow is very important.
I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan