Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have shitezhui dog and he as stopped eating and drinking

I have shitezhui dog and he as stopped eating and drinking very little he trying to be sick but cant and is causing him to pant from his stomach and laboured breathing then slows down again
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Peter :

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Dr. Peter :

1- How long has this been going on?

Dr. Peter :

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Dr. Peter :

3- Is he hacking as if something is stuck in his throat?

Dr. Peter :

4- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

Customer:

1.mid afternoon yesturday

Dr. Peter :

Any pre existing medical conditions?

Dr. Peter :

Is he hacking as if something is stuck in his throat?

Customer:

2 .yes but cant see anything does snore badly does also often eats grass and heaves as though he as a hair ball stuck

Dr. Peter :

Friend, I am a bit concern of the symptoms that you are describing. You see, given his age I would want to rule out an underlying heart disease. In other words, his heart may not be functioning appropriately as a pump and as a result he is labored breathing and coughging/hacking.

Dr. Peter :

If related to the heart this can be a life threatening condition if he is not treated quickly.

Dr. Peter :

Could there be other causes? Yes. But, given the seriousness of a heart condition I would recommend you do not wait and have him checked today by a veterinarian to rule out heart disease.

Dr. Peter :

Unfortunately there is not much I can recommend for you to try at home that would have a significant therapeutic benefit.

Dr. Peter :

Highly recommend having him checked immediately by a vet to listen to his heart/lungs and +/-xrays.

Dr. Peter :

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Customer:

okay thank you my son who dog it is says that he as had it before a few years back

Dr. Peter :

He could be having a tracheal collapse, this is when the rings around the trachea collapse and the dog will hack to open the tracheal lumen. But, I would really do not want to overlook his heart. I continue to recommend having a vet examine him to be on the safe side.

Customer:

ok thanks