Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I have just taken on a 4 year old dog that freaks out at the

Customer Question

I have just taken on a 4 year old dog that freaks out at the slightest strange noise. I have only had her a couple of days and its happened 5 times. On two occasions I had no idea what she heard, but on the other 3 occasions, once it was due to a man playing loud music on his walkman, and on the other 2 occasions it was some men, not in sight talking to each other. What I need to know is if this is something that can be overcome using professional help.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This is not uncommon in rescue dogs since you have no idea what poor Pepper's situation was before you got her. This can be trained out of her by a form of "Desensitization" which means that you subject Pepper to these loud noises often so she finally understands that these noises will not hurt her. Your vet will have anti anxiety medication to help Pepper past this. This LINK will help explain.
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/fear-of-thunder-sounds-or-noises/page1.aspx

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****
Thank you so much, Tony, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I really hope Pepper does well.

Happy Holidays!