Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My dog has a heart murmur and just recently she chooses to

Customer Question

My dog has a heart murmur and just recently she chooses to sit alone in a quiet room, as well as shaking and panting. Are these connected to the heart murmur?

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

This does sound concerning for Lily. The answer is maybe. If she is truly having difficulty breathing with increased effort to move air (not just regular panting) then this could be related to heart failure. You should look at her gum color, which under normal circumstances should be a nice pink. If she has darkly colored gums then look at her tongue. If the color of her gums/tongue is a blue or gray, then this is a medical emergency and you need to haver her seen right away (then this does perhaps signal a heart problem or a heart arrhythmia), but the change in gum color does not always come with heart issues.

Dr. Joey :

An alternative cause for isolating herself with shaking and panting is that she is painful. Pain most commonly comes from the spine (neck/back) or abdominal/stomach. It is good to do a once-over to feel these areas. If she reacts in any of these areas, then she is painful and this is an indication to have her seen. If her symptoms resolve within the next hour, then monitor her closely. I would advocate have her seen in the next few days by her vet for a good exam, if this all does resolve to normal.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She doesn't appear to be in pain and her gums are pink

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
These are good signs. You should, then, monitor her closely. IF she continues to be antisocial and shaking, then I really recommend have her examined today by a vet. If she gets over this episode and seems fine, then monitor for relapse. If she does have another episode, then have her seen by her regular vet next week.
An alternative cause for her signs could be a partial seizure, one that did not cause convulsions. This usually makes a dog off for a while (anywhere from minutes to hours), and then the dog returns to normal. These can e tough to diagnose without ruling out all other causes for shaking/panting (requires an exam and then some lab testing that would include a CBC, chemistry profile with electrolytes, thyroid check and urine check).
Keep ms posted.