Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

my dog keeps putting her tongue in and out as if constantly

my dog keeps putting her tongue in and out as if constantly licking her lips. This lasted for several hours last night. She did settle for a bit but is doing it again this morning. this started a couple of nights ago. She is a GSD, 10 years and 9 months, with EPI. She has a pancreatic enzyme powder supplement and a probiotic powder supplement. She is also taking tablets (Previcox) for arthritis.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

Usually when I see this behavior it means there is something going on inside the mouth such as a loose stool (or broken tooth), mass/tumor/polyp, foreign object trapped around or between teeth, or infection. Therefore, the best next step if she continues this today is to arrange for her to get an exam with her veterinarian today or tomorrow.

Dr. Joey :

If she also has drooling and is not eating well then perhaps this could be a symptom of nausea. That can be related to an internal problem and not primary mouth issue such as organ problem (liver, kidney, pancreatitis), reaction to previcox (unlikely if has been on regularly for a while), and the list continues. If your vet finds nothing in the mouth (and I must say a good exam of the mouth/teeth may require sedation/anesthesia) then doing some screening lab work such as CBC, chemistry profile with electrolytes and urine check would be a very good starting point.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.