Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

my new cocker spaniel (9M) has been with us 4 days and is very

my new cocker spaniel (9M) has been with us 4 days and is very disinclined to eat the Purina Pro Plan the breeder recommended. He will eat boiled chicken etc. I have tried an alternative meal but that is refused also.
The dog appears very health and well adjusted but is probably stressed by our 8Y old cocker who has ruled the roost over her time.
I'm inclined to think that the problem is related to 'newness' of the environment but would welcome advice
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

First, let me congratulate you on the newest member of the household even though your older Cocker doesn't seem to be terribly welcoming just yet:)

I do have a few additional questions to ask about Toby first if you don't mind:

1. Where did you get Toby? From a breeder, rescue, friend, etc?
2. What was his appetite like in his previous residence?
3. Just to confirm, he's active and not acting ill in any other way, correct?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

established breeder who kept back the dog for showing but decided against that.

The breeder used to feed the dog together with another puppy form the same bowl and did not know how much food mine eat.

I am a doctor and in my opinion he is very well and shows no signs of illness

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

David:
Thanks for the additional information.

If he otherwise seems in good health (and I trust your evaluation), then I tend to agree with you that his appetite is being affected by the change in his situation and environment. As long as he's in good physical condition, has no gastrointestinal issues, and isn't lethargic, then I probably wouldn't be too concerned just yet.

And, some dogs are just not as food motivated as others so some of his behavior may be normal for him.

I typically advise new owners not to worry too much about their new dog's appetite for at least a week; give them time to settle in. Also feed them in a quiet place away from distractions (although this you may already know to do).

Since it's impossible to know how much of the ProPlan he was eating prior to your taking him, he may not have been too thrilled with the food but was eating it because of competition from the other puppy.

If he still has little interest in it after about 7-10 days but readily eats human food, then I might consider trying another food or perhaps adding canned to the dry to see if it tempts him to eat it. There are several problems with continuing to feed human food as you might expect:
1. He might develop such a taste for it that he refuses to eat dog food.
2. It's not balanced (although a daily vitamin/mineral supplement can be given).

I hope this helps. Deb

Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
David:
Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.
And, best of luck with finding an acceptable food which Toby will like. Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the information request.