Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

The very right incisor baby tooth of my Gordon Setter puppy

Customer Question

The very right incisor baby tooth of my Gordon Setter puppy (7 months old) hasn't come out yet and the new incisor has grown behind it. What are the costs t get the baby tooth incisor removed and what is the possibility the new incisor will move to the right place without any help by for example braces?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Maverick's tooth. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
If the baby tooth is removed, and the sooner the better, the adult tooth should go into its right place. There should be no need for braces.
The cost of extracting the tooth usually is not much; we usually only charge about $10 to $20 at my clinic. The big expense is the sedation needed. Dogs will not let you work in their mouths without being asleep! Usually we do this when we neuter or spay the dog; then there is no additional cost of anesthesia since they are already asleep.
If he is already neutered, or if you were not planning on neutering him soon, then at my clinic it would cost about $80 to sedate him, so about $100 total.
Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else.
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much Rebecca,

As I'm a breeder I'm not planning on getting him neutered. I live in the UK and my local vet has forwarded me to a dog dentist who charges 150 pound just for a consult. I've recently moved here from the Netherlands and know that a tooth extraction is rather a small procedure, so I was rather shocked when I heard his prices. From your reaction I hear that no dental specialist is needed to do the procedure, but that a vet at a clinic should be able to do the same job. But probably for a lot less. Cause all together I would be paying about 350 to 400 pounds for the consult and the procedure.

I'm very relieved that you think that the new tooth should still move into the right position once the other one is removed.

Can't thank you enough, you just made my day!

Best regards,
Jaqueline and Maverick

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
No, you don't need a dental specialist to pull a retained baby tooth.
Glad this was helpful!
Kindly consider rating my answer but only if all your questions have been answered.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I guess we were typing at the same time; thanks for the great rating!
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You're more than welcome!

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Good luck with him and your breeding.
Rebecca