Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My 6 year old ridgeback has diorea & little interest in his

My 6 year old ridgeback has diorea & little interest in his food days after returning from kennels. He had a small seizure. (My vet is aware of this, they happen 2 or 3 times a year. He usually has a very healthy appetite. Fed on wagg dog biscuits. Drinking water. But not my bouncy boy. He was sick on day 1 but this hasn't happened again. Any advice would be appreciated as Dont want to take him to vets yet as don't want to upset my poor boy yet.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that Scooby isn't feeling well.
I do have a few additional questions to ask about him first if you don't mind:

1. He's not vomiting, correct?
2. Can you take his temperature?
3. Can you tell me the color of his gums?
4. Any abdominal pain when you press on his belly?
5. How long was he in the kennel? And how soon after he returned home did his symptoms begin?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks patience. Deb

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No more vomiting.
No I have no thermometer sadly. He is ok when I rub his belly as usual. No indication that it hurts.
He was in kennels nights. Fully vaccinated.
His gums are dull pink, sadly!
A very unusually sad boy.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Sam:
Thanks additional information. He certainly doesn't sound like he feels well, does he???

I understand about a thermometer but it's often good to double check the temperature in these cases. If you manage to get your hands on one, normal is between 100 and 102.5.

Gum color is good; dehydrated dogs often have a more reddish color to their gums.
They also often feel tacky rather than moist.

No abdominal pain is also a plus.

It's quite possible that he picked up a viral or bacterial infection while he stayed at the kennel, unfortunately; this is always a possibility regardless of how clean and reputable a facility may be.
Internal parasites could also cause his symptoms as could IBD issues or systemic disease, etc.

But, regardless, the following would be my suggestions:

1. Bismuth subsalicylate (brand name Pepto Bismol here in the States) can be given as long as Scooby isn’t vomiting and isn’t currently taking any anti-inflammatory drugs. Since liquid formulations are more effective than the pill forms, the dose would be 1 teaspoon per 5 -10 lbs of body weight 2-3 times a day.

, if he weighs 50 lbs, then you would give him5-10 mlsor one to two teaspoons at one time.

This drug can discolor the feces to a gray-black or greenish color though so this shouldn't concern you if it happens.

Pepto bismol should not be given to vomiting dogs since it contains salicylates (the active ingredient in Aspirin) which can irritate the stomach.

2. Get him to drink Pedialyte if you can since electrolytes can be replaced which have been lost in the looser stools. Many dogs feel lousy when electrolyte-depleted, just like we do.

3. I'd start him on a good quality, canine probiotic such as Forti Flora or Resources Protegrity GI. These products can be extremely useful issues (and to help strengthen the immune system as well). They may be available at local pet/grain stores or can be purchased online.

4. I know his appetite is off but offer a bland diet of 1 part boiled chicken (or hamburg) to 4 parts 20-minute white rice. Offer only a small amount of one time, 3-4 times through the day. I would not feed any regular dog food or treats.

Hopefully, the above will be sufficient to show improvement and thus avoid the stress of a vet visit. However, if he continues to behave as you're currently seeing, then he may need stronger anti-diarrheal drugs and/or fluids (if he's dehydrated).

Deb

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Very satisfied with advice & genuine concern dog. Despite being based in states Dr.Deb gave clear advice of products & food to try & help my male ridgeback.
It worked! Happy bouncing dog. Eating well again.
I meant to press Excellent service button.
I would use the site again.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Sam:
That's great news; thanks the time to let me know:)
And, thanks so much clarification about the rating. I can contact the site and let them know about your intentions or you can contact customer service directly at***@******.***.

Or another option is to rate this response which basically cancels out the previous one.

Best of luck with Scooby,
Deb