Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My Rottweiler has a small nodul growing on her lip. Should

My Rottweiler has a small nodul growing on her lip. Should I take her to the vet
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

First and foremost, in order to determine if they are benign (noncancerous) lumps versus malignant (cancerous) lumps is to have your veterinarian evaluate and aspirate (poke with a needle) the lumps to evaluate the material under the microscope

This is really the only way to differentiate the concerning from the non concerning lumps definitively because a cancerous versus a noncancerous lump can appear identical on presentation

Evaluation under the microscope will be looking at the lump at a cellular level. Do the cells look normal, is it sebaceous or oil material that is benign or even fatty material indicating a lipoma or are the cells abnormal in appearance? This information is critical in order to diagnose the lump origin and whether it should be removed sooner versus later

Some tell tale signs that a lump might be more of a concern include whether it is rapidly growing, it is bothersome (scratching, licking), it is not easily picked up from the underlying tissue indicating it is attached to the muscle layer. This can be helpful but not 100 % definitive as a fine needle aspiration would be

I always advise photographing the lump with a ruler or coin next to the lump to measure the size weekly

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with today

Dr. Altman :

You can monitor the lump for 1-2 weeks with the photos and if it changes it should be evaluated but even if it is unchanged in the next month it would be best to have your vet evaluate it

Customer:

IT IS NOT A LUMP IT LOOKS LIKE A PINK MOLE

Dr. Altman :

Unfortunately any abnormal or irregular growth is categorized as an abnormal growth or lump

Dr. Altman :

I do understand what you are referring to, hopefully it is nothing since she is a 5 year old dog but if it does grow, she begins to rub it, it changes size, shape, consistency it would be advised to have your veterinarian evaluate the lump

Dr. Altman :

I don't understand why you are rating me poorly? I am giving you information you are requesting? A mole is an abnormal growth and I am trying to guide you based on your question

Dr. Altman :

Would you prefer me to opt out to discuss this with another expert? I am not sure how else to assist you to satisfy you today

Dr. Altman :

Rerating me over and over really proves no point, I am going to opt out for another expert

Dr. Altman :

Good luck to you and Miley

Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Can you upload a close-up photo of this "small nodule" to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.