Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 4 year old border terrier has eaten around 5 chocolates

My 4 year old border terrier has eaten around 5 chocolates from a box and 4 sweet size chuncks of toffee. She has a slightly bloated tummy but also appears to be leaking urine. not sure if this is something to worry about or will work through her?
Steve
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

My name is ***** ***** I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. Y

Scott Nimmo :

Please tell me how long ago this happened? { hours or minutes ago } was this pure chocolate or was there some fillings ?

Customer:

around lunch time - all chocolates had fillings

Scott Nimmo :

That's fine Steve, thanks for the info, this is unlikely to be a serious incident you may see a slight transient bout of vomiting or diarrhoea but that's about it. While chocolate can be toxic to dogs they actually have to eat quite a bit before problems can occur and the toffee is non toxic to dogs. In this sor tof situation all you need do is just to monitor your dog.

Scott Nimmo :

I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

Customer:

Thanks Scott - she looks a bit lethargic but other wise fine - I was most worried about the bladder control as not like her. She was sick this afternoon also. Thanks for the reassurance. steve

Scott Nimmo :

The bladder problem should pass in 24 hours or so but of course if this or any other symptom continues after that period then have her checked by your vet but the the bot***** *****ne is that should not be too serious an incident ...

Customer:

Brilliant - thanks so much for the information and advise.

Scott Nimmo :

No problem Steve, very glad to have advised you. I will get back in touch with you in a couple of days to check on your dog's progress, and I should also be about for the next couple of hours so please get straight back to me if things change or you want to talk things over with me further.

Kindest regards,
Scott

Customer:

Much appreciated Scott - we dare turn in for the night now!!Thanks Steve