Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My puppy is 6 and a half months old,he is a maltipoo. He has

Customer Question

My puppy is 6 and a half months old,he is a maltipoo. He has lost quite a few baby teeth but I noticed today that parts of his upper gums are very dark and his breath is really bad. The parts of his gums that are black seem to have 2 teeth below them. Should I be worried? I am going to take him to the vet in the morning.
Regards Gail
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon Gail and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and a happy to answer your question.

It is common in the smaller breeds, Gail, that the baby or deciduous teeth do not come out andare not able to be pushed out by the permanent teeth. This can cause a gingivitis or infection which is most likely what Ralf is suffering from. I am very glad that you are taking him to your vet since we often have to remove those baby teeth so the permanent teeth can fit and this will resolve the infection. This is not serious but can become serious if left untreated.

Does that make sense to you, Gail?

Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That makes sense thank you very much I will hopefully get him sorted out tomorrow.
Excellent, Gail...god for you...Ralf is lucky to have you in his corner.
Thank you so much, Gail, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I am sure Ralf will do great.

Have a wonderful day!!