Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

. My dog had a thorn in his paw. I pulled it out and

Hello.
My dog had a thorn in his paw. I pulled it out and cleaned his paw with dettol. I then found out that dettol is really bad for dogs. I cleaned it off with water and fairy liquid. Is there anythimg else I need to do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

My name is***** and I will do my best to help you with your question about your dog. I'm so sorry this happened, but glad you are looking for the information you need.

Dr. Jo :

To join the conversation, simply type in what you want to say and click REPLY.

Dr. Jo :

How long ago did this happen?

Dr. Jo :

Also, please tell me your dog's name and if he has any other medical conditions or takes any medications.

Dr. Jo :

In the meantime, while I wait for your response, I'll offer the following information...

Dr. Jo :

Dogs are reasonably resistant to the toxic effects of Dettol. Most of the toxicity reports regarding Dettol in dogs are cases where the dog had been ingesting quite a lot of it every day for a long period of time.

Customer: Hi this happened today, I noticed the thorn and pulled it out, I poured undiluted dettol onto the cut and I'm now worried if he licks it, it will be harmful to him. His name is ***** ***** he has no other medical conditions.
Dr. Jo :

I would not expect this single incident to cause a problem for Jack. :-)

Dr. Jo :

Washing it off should be all you need to do.

Dr. Jo :

Just be sure to rinse thoroughly.

Dr. Jo :

As far as complications from the thorn injury, watch the area for redness, swelling, drainage, or other signs of infection.

Dr. Jo :

If he refuses to bear weight on the leg, I'd also want to have it checked out.

Dr. Jo :

You did the most important thing already, though, by taking out the thorn and cleaning the area very thoroughly. Good work.

Dr. Jo :

No bandage of any type is recommended, and if he wants to lick it, that's okay.

Dr. Jo :

This is where we can count our blessings that Jack is not a cat. Dettol is much harder on cats than dogs.

Dr. Jo :

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: Ok I will wash it thoroughly now, yes I will watch for swelling or redness and keep an eye on how he walks on it.
Dr. Jo :

Good. I'll hope Jack has a speedy recovery and is no worse for the wear.

Customer: Yes taking the thorn out was a challenge, yes I read about cats and got worried
Dr. Jo :

Please remember you can return to this page at any time and add to the conversation, even after you've clicked ACCEPT. I'm happy to help.

Customer: i think that's all I need tonight! Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated
Dr. Jo :

My pleasure. My best to you and Jack.

Customer: thanks again
Dr. Jo :

You're very welcome. To exit the chat, simply click ACCEPT and enter a rating. Enjoy your evening.

Customer: I will do that now, same to you!
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.