Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

I have a little jackrussel when she wakes up after sleeping

I have a little jackrussel when she wakes up after sleeping she dosenot know where she is and tends to bite me ,seems to be in a trance ,but is ok after a few seconds .I try and calm her a nd talk to her .any thing I can do for her .
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about this behavior with Maggie. How often is she doing this behavior after she wakes up? Is it every time? Is she normal with her behavior the rest of the day?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

its mostly in evening when she is next to me on sofa,sometimes its a more than twice .she is always been a bit of a snapper with me and my husband ,and now keeps barking at anything even things that we own in the house ,cant leave anything about or she will rip it up ,and not let us have it,we get bitten sometimes ,its like she has two personalities at times .

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry to hear about all this with Maggie, Susan. Some dogs can seem to have two personalities. They can become protective / aggressive in certain situations as they get more comfortable / possessive. The big thing to make sure is the this behavior change isn't due to some physical or neurologic issue. If she was having these intermittently, then a possible post seizure change of behavior could be possible. Some can have behavioral changes with brain lesions like tumors too. If she's doing this pretty regularly, then it would seem not as suspect for these. Could it be that she's more aggressive as she's painful? That is something that I've seen with some with arthritis or back discomfort. What would be a good thing to do here is to video what you're seeing and to take that with her to your vet for an evaluation. They can use that and the physical exam to see if there is anything that they may be able to do to help out the situation. Could a course of pain medication help the situation? That is something that is out there. If nothing else is found, then this most likely is a behavioral issue and that is something that can be a challenge to deal with.