Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

ive just had my 3month old pup to the vets because he was

Hi ive just had my 3month old pup to the vets because he was having trouble poolng she had to put her finger up his bottom to get rid of the poo then she shaved his bottom .He now thinks he wants to poo all the time and hes crying all the time what cani do to help him?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he straining to defecate?
2- Does he have diarrhea?
3- Any vomiting?
4- How long has this been going on?
5- Is he lethargic?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi he started this morning with it and i took him straight to the vets she managed to get his poo out and said he would be sore.He keeps wanting to pooh and crys cause it hurts him he has got like brown water coming out now and yes he is strainig

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
To make sure I got this right, he goes outside and tries to defecate but what comes out is some fluid but no feces, correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
What symptoms was he showing prior to being seen by the veterinarian?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

last night he kept going for his back end and trying to rub his bottom on the carpet.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Any vomiting?
2- Is he eating and drinking?
3- Has he been dewormed?
4- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There is no vomiting he was wormed monday last week hes just had a little just now to eat and little drink of milk.What im bothered about is the vet had to put her fingers up his bottom and its now swollen and very red and i was wandering if there was anything i could do to help hlm

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Is he licking his bottom?
2- Is the anus protruding outward?

I will have answer for you within 5 minutes of receiving the responses to the above questions. Thank you for answering all of my questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hes not licking yet he did try and yes his anus is protruding

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, the straining you are seeing is secondary to the colon (large intestines) being inflamed. The liquid that comes out is very likely mucus and this is also a consequence of the inflammation. Common causes are: Infections, parasites, dietary indiscretion, etc. Not likely to be a consequence of the rectal exam by family veterinarian.
I also believe you are seeing the rectum partially prolapsed from the excessive straining; this is common in puppies when they strain. The rectum will need to be placed back inside by family veterinarian. In addition, discuss with your vet about starting him on a medication called Metronidazole (flagyl), besides being an antibiotic it will help with the inflammation in the colon. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Wash anus with plain water. Then, apply topical ky jelly or vaseline 3-4 times a day or as needed. Do not let the tissue dry in this area, keep it moist with the vaseline or jelly.
2- Change his diet to rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) until bowel movement and anus are normal. Then, wean him back into his regular puppy diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. P
lease do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter