Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My staff was running around a lot yesterday now he is limping

Customer Question

My staff was running around a lot yesterday now he is limping on his back leg
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Does he have a history of having problems with the back legs?
2- Is he bearing weight on the limb?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
4- Is he currently on any medications?
5- How much does he weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply .

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He got hit by a car about 5 years ago. He is still quite active runs around alot every so often he starts limping usually or so. He's not on any medication. He weighs about 22kg.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Kevin, what you are describing is consistent with either a soft tissue (muscle, tendon or ligament) injury, hip disorders like arthritis, etc. This is what you can do:

1- Rest him next couple of weeks. No running or jumping, activity should be limited to urinate or defecate on a leash.
2- Aspirin 325mg 3/4 of a tablet every 12 hours with food -7 days.
3- Glucosamine/chrondoitin 300mg a day long term.
4- If no significant improvement in 1-2 days after doing the above I would have him checked by family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. P
lease do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter