Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

my dog has cut his face and has I think became infected

Customer Question

Hi my dog has cut his face and has I think became infected he hasn't been himself I've cleaned the wound and treated with some spray I got from a pet shop, the cut seems better but he has had a about 6 head tremors in the last 3 days he's had them before but no this frequent,he ain't himself as he is always running about but he's not doing much except sleeping having a little bit of food but he's drink a lot of water have u got any advice please
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.

Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
It sounds as if you've cared for the wound well but his tremors have worsened as is expected with excitement. In most cases, treatment isn't required for idiopathic head tremor in bulldogs but if his quality of life is now suffering from them it would be prudent to see if prednisone - the drug of choice for idiopathic corticosteroid-responsive tremor syndrome - is of value. Floyd's vet would need to see Floyd in order to prescribe this drug. It would also give the vet an opportunity to see if the wound is healing properly. Can you take his rectal temperature for me? Any body thermometer will do when inserted into his rectum 1.5" for 1 minute. Normal is 38-39.2C.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.