Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog won't go outside or come back in to house this is only

Customer Question

My dog won't go outside or come back in to house this is only the last 3 days
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and a happy to answer your question.

Something that you may not even be aware of has frightened your sweet Chubbs causing this reaction. They develop fears that cause extreme anxiety similar to those anxieties of humans. The only way to get her over this is "Desensitization" which means constant exposure until Chubbs realizes that these fears will not hurt her. To do this, first avoid these while making her comfortable in this situation. You may need help in doing this since when you try, as you have experienced, she is too afraid to understand. Purchase a DAP Collar at the pet store. This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will decrease anxiety.
Thundershirts are useful since this is one of the most common fears causing extreme anxiety and can be very effective.
If this is not enough, your vet will have medication to help her past this. Take Chubbs to your vet for an exam to be sure there is not a medical cause for this and ask about anti anxiety medication such as Fluoxetine or Buspirone. Then expose her to the things she fears like coming into or out of the house over and over, constantly talking in a soft voice and giving treats when she does something positive. Here is a site with more tips:http://www.petplace.com/dogs/fear-of-thunder-sounds-or-noises/page1.aspx

Does that make sense to you?

Sincerely, ***** *****