Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

I HAVE A LASO APSO OF 11YEARS SHE AS A SLIGHT DARK BROWN DISCHARD

Customer Question

I HAVE A LASO APSO OF 11YEARS SHE AS A SLIGHT DARK BROWN DISCHARD FROM
AROUND HER ANAL GLANDS WHITCH STAINDS HER HAIR COULD YOU PLEASE
EXPLAINE TO ME WHAT SIMPTOMS.
THANKS ALAN PAUL
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Jo :

,

Dr. Jo :

My name is***** and I will do my best to help you with your question about Anna.

Dr. Jo :

I'm sorry she is having this issue, but glad you are looking information you need.

Dr. Jo :

To join the conversation, simply type in what you want to say and click REPLY.

Dr. Jo :

Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

Dr. Jo :

In order to help you better, I will need some clarification, if you please.

Dr. Jo :

Can you please tell me specifically what your question is.

Dr. Jo :

?

Dr. Jo :

Are you asking if this kind of staining is a symptom of a problem?

Dr. Jo :

Or are you asking what you can do to prevent or treat it?

Dr. Jo :

There is no charge to my information request.

Dr. Jo :

I'm just trying to understand specifically what kind of information you're looking for.

JACUSTOMER-nuyim1b4- :

, Dr. Jo

JACUSTOMER-nuyim1b4- :

, Dr. Jo. I would ll

Dr. Jo :

. Are you online?

JACUSTOMER-nuyim1b4- :

, Dr. Jo. I would like to know what this staining could be as it can- not be cleaned by normal shampooing,. She toilets normaly. and active age my vet of some 20 years as supplied stiroids to stop her from licking (prednidale tabs 5mg ) but do not work . I have change her diet reasently from a semy wet pack wainwrights 7+years turkey rice to james wellbeloved adult wet turkey rice veg pack could this have anything to do with her condition. thanks a paul.

Dr. Jo :

,

Dr. Jo :

Thank you your question . There are a few different things that can cause this kind of staining that shampoo does not remove.

Dr. Jo :

1. Porphyromonas bacteria from saliva. This type of stain is caused by bacteria in the mouth and results from long-term licking. The stain cannot be removed by any process; it can only be prevented.

Dr. Jo :

The key to preventing it is to stop the licking.

Dr. Jo :

The most common reasons in this area include anal gland issues and food allergies.

Dr. Jo :

Anal gland issues are not likely in your dog's case because she had a normal physical exam.

Dr. Jo :

Food allergies are the most likely culprit to cause long-term anal licking with no other apparent abnormalities.

Dr. Jo :

The best way to determine if there is a food allergy is to do a 2-month trial of a hypoallergenic diet like Hill's Z/D and absolutely nothing else by mouth. If the licking goes away, you know that's what you're dealing with.

Dr. Jo :

2. A secondary yeast infection on the skin.

Dr. Jo :

This can occur secondary to anal gland problems or food allergies. This requires treatment with an antifungal medication 6 weeks.

Dr. Jo :

Both types of staining are rust red. You will need your veterinarian's help to decide which is more likely the case dog.

Dr. Jo :

3. Some types of staining are normal. I would consider this to be the case if there is not excessive licking and the skin looks normal.

Dr. Jo :

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.