Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Our female dog Tia had a sudden and virulent attack of D and

Customer Question

Our female dog Tia had a sudden and virulent attack of D and V. Vet put her on a drip, for over two days also on strong pain killers and antibiotics. Home again, she drinks and urinates O.K. but refuses food. She did not like the food they gave her. But home again, I am cooking fresh chicken and soft brown rice for her, but she just will not eat. Four days now. Where do I go from here, and how long will it take to get her back to normal. She has not had the D and V, in fact has not had a bowel movement for well over 18 hours. With no food in her it is not suprising. When I was given an antibiotic, it made me ill, can a dog have a reaction also? She has an ongoing very sore vulva and also arthritis. Prescribed Metacam, and that she has had for two years. They always give her anti bilotics and it always makes her worse, and now again, But why an antibiltic for D and V.? She IS 14, but her heart is very strong. What can i do now>She is an AlsationX.
grace Osmundsen
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Grace, thank you for the thorough history you provided. The only thing missing, however, was a diagnosis for Tia's attack. Did her blood/urine tests reveal the etiology? Can you upload a copy of her test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but her vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com.

I agree with you - antibiotics aren't indicated for vomiting and diarrhea unless a bacterial etiology for those symptoms is confirmed...and even then antibiotics aren't usually necessary because gastrointestinal bacterial infections are expected to be self-limiting in the great majority of cases. Metacam - any nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug - mustn't be administered when gastrointestinal distress exists.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

they took a blood test which showed a slight elevation in her kidney and liver functions but probably due to the D,and V. She usually eats well, sleeps well, in spite of arthritis, but as a rescue dog and thrown out three times she sticks close to us and gets easily stressed. then she licks herself raw and i have to attend to that. But this attack came on over night when she had eaten her food the evening before..very unexpected. Her stools do tend to be very hard and dark.But there is no swelling in her adomen to give cause for worry- so the vet assuresme.

But I could not agree with the antibiotics and never have when they gave it to her for her hot spot which always got worse.

SO i am left with a precious dog who at the moment is drinking but turning her nose up at food Thank you, ***** ***** very nice. Grace O.

You're quite welcome and thank you for your kind words. I really want to see the results of her tests if you can get a hold of them. Even slight elevations in kidney and liver values can be significant in a 14 year old. Anorexia for 4 days at her age is life-threatening and indicates returning her to the vet for further care. You can force-feed with a gruel made from her regular food placed in a small poultry baster between her cheek teeth and cheek but that should be a temporary remedy until she can be re-examined.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Taking Tia in tomorrow as requested by vet. But the vet i see knows Tia and of course he will have seen the results. Just hope I can be given the test results. having paid for them I hope I can get them, and will pass them on. You will be pleased to know that my girl has eaten something, and seems livlier.,. She even joined our Labradoodle Moses in barking when someone came to the door! ! But still waiting for a bowel movement. Hopefully firm and no blood. What does DVM mean? As far as rating is concerned 100% and very satisfied.

That's good to hear, Grace. Yes, you paid for the tests and so you're entitled to a copy of the results.

DVM = Doctor of Veterinary Medicine although I often tell people that it means Department of Voter Mehicles....and they believe me...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Took Tia in and saw the vet who usually cares for her. He was angry - he is one of the senior vets,. They had not put the results of blood tests down, and he rang me back to tell me that he had tracked them down.

Said, the liver is fine, but they need to keep close watch on her kidneys and he is going to do another blood test next week himself.And apologised ..I also asked why the anti-biotics and he said the other vet should not have given them and he is going to say something about this. She has started to eat but is very weak on her legs.And has not had a bowel movement, but he suspects that she has a stomach ulcer as the blood was dark, and I knew her stools had been dark. Not colitis for it was not fresh blood. He has given me today- Canine Capsules for ulcers,

Omeprazole 20mg a day for 7 days. And I am giving her soft boiled rice with fresh steamed chicken, and she is lapping it up. Richard sees her again on Monday. Just praying now her kidneys do not pack up..

I wish this vet had been there when i took her in. They have 3 surgeries, for we live in farming country, so each small town and village have a practice there and the vets move around. Ours is the major center and they do the operations etc there.

O.K. if I keep you up to date? And I appreciate all you have said, asked and advised me about. Any other advice i would respect and trust.

I will get the update of the next blood test and Richard said he will give me a copy.

For now thank you. Grace.

P.S. Like the Dept of Voter Mehicles- a very subtle close anagram of your name with an S. Very clever of you.

Thank you for the update, Grace. I'm pleased to hear that Tia is once again eating. That's half the battle. Yes, I insist that you keep me posted. Please stay in this conversation rather than opening up a new question. I'm going to set a follow up for 4 days from now in case I miss you. You're welcome to return to our conversation prior to my contacting you - even after rating. I'm chained to my computer by evil gnomes and so unless I've been unchained at which time I usually go hiking in the middle of nowhere for a few hours, I'll respond to you promptly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are you still in California?. Oh for some sunshine! Though English, i was born dacades ago in Burma. Brother lived in Ft Lauderdale and then Miami. Sadly died 2 yrs ago. have relatives all over the U.S and friends.Norwegian husband on cruise ships so have been all over the world.

Sailing fromMiami. Took a 1 hour play , a comedy and performed on the N.C.L. cruise ships for 5 weeks, as I am a pro actress/director.With 2 other british actors, both in the U.S and one now in Los Angeles with her own theatre company. A very small world we live in. Tia' had her first bowel movement and I know you will be pleased to hear that she first passed the old and collected awful stuff followed by a normal coloured stool with no blood. Are we winning? I pray so Thanks for remaining there. If ever you want to say hello, or come to the U.K my tel no is 01288 321516 Our home is an open door to everyone, and when anyone comes it is very hard to get rid of them. They are too comfortable.! !

Always best regards. Grace.

Yes, I'm still in Rancho San Diego although I split my time on the big island of Hawaii...where the lava is threatening to eat where I used to live near Pahoa. I've only been to Southampton, London, and Dover and so the rest of Great Britain is on my bucket list. Thank you for the invite. I'll be there for tea today.

Good to hear that Tia is remissing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Having trouble with Just Answer. When I 1st emailed I went through the whole process with my question, but before I got an answer I had to pay. So I did. then I I was cut off for they said they had no knowledge of anyone at this e.mail address.- yet i was able to contact them because I had an e.mail from THEM at this e.mail in the first place.? Then I had another saying thank you for my payment which they had received. Then suddenly there you were, though originally they said someone called Rebecca would contact me.. The best thing that happened!

Now half an hour ago apparently have no record of my question, no record of an answer therefore I must have another account and another e.mail and to please let them have those details and my card number. Which they had because they have taken the money out. So yet again i have informed them I have no other account or another e.mail address. Now i am getting really worried because is all this going to cost me a fortune I do not have? Apart from meeting you I am regretting ever ringing this place. About three years ago i did ask about the hot spot Tia has, but that was straightforward, and I accepted the first reply, having of course paid before I had an answer.

What a mess! having said that I trust you are well, nice and warm, and enjoying your walks etc

I took a urine sample in today for Tia , the test showed a bit of blood, and Richard her vet is being very watchfull. Nice man. Like you. He sees her again this friday.

Hope these people sort themselves out. Meanwhile take care, and don't forget you are always welcome if you come again to the U.K.- Grace

.

Thank you, Grace. Don't hesitate to contact***@******.*** to sort this business. Support will take care of inappropriate charges should they have been made.

I'm going to check back with you in a couple of days for another update.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bless you. All I did was send them the e.mail they sent me confirming I had asked a question and their e.mail confirming payment and on the 22nd Jan 2015, and that seems to have settled things.

The U.s seems to be having terrible weather, as we are here. The winds where we live are up to 75.m.ph. Our home is 600ft above sea level and across from us are open fields and the Atlantic as the crow flies two miles across those fields. So we get slammed. If you are ever to get to the U.K and the invitation is an open one, you will see for yourself, also the early warning system we have on the cliffs. Ministry of Defence, and huge disc and observetories etc. Very well guarded.

Tia. 2nd urine sample showed no blood, thank God. She is eating again, hard to get the pills down, she just clamps her teeth together, and if I crush them and put them in tasty food, she can smell them out. But she is walking about, slowly because of the arthritis, but not yet fully recovered but getting there. You have no idea what a blessing you have been, and now she is under the vet-Richard- who is very good, between the two of you I feel more confident of her well being. Only problem is when she wants to urinate she cannot always get out in time. I guess at her age her bladder is weak, and as she cannot move fast I have to odd pool to mop up and clean.

Take care of yourself and thank you so very much for everything.

Grace O. P.S. Do you paint? Just wondered.if you did. I felt somehow you might!.And if you do is it oils, water colours and/or acrylics.?

I guess I better not invade from that direction.

Yes, it's best to take these older dogs out quite often or inappropriate elimination may be the result. You're correct - they don't want to move about because it hurts them to do so.

My daughter is the painter. I'm the musician. I used to play the piano professionally. Now I just amuse myself and my friends.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello.

Just to say hello. Is all well. Tia is doing far better than expected, though might have a small stomach ulcer. but she is eating and sleeping well.

Richard who is looking after her, has who daughters keen on the stage- though young ,and tomorrow I am going to see them in something they are in. Although i am a pro, I always enjoy seeing kids who are interested in acting etc. You play piano. I do also, but not like you. i would have a fit if i had to perform professionally, though being on stage and I was with the Royal Shakespeare company in Stratford some years back, is always like coming home. I applaud those who can playthe piano as you obviously do. if you are ever in the U.K, Ihave a lovely piano for you to play. How many children do you have. ? keep in touch.

Very cold here at the moment, and the U.S seems to be having so much snow in places.

Always- grace

Thank you for the good update, Grace. I have one daughter - 26 years old in a few mnths. I stopped at one good one. It's been in the 80s F here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Maybe thats what should have done. But I had five, 3 sons, two daughters, 16 grandchildren, 6 great grandchildren. I am like the old woman in the shoe who had so many children she didn't know what to do! Actually when we alll get together it is great All with dogs, which thankfully get on well. I don't suppose we could keep in touch by e.mail. without Just Answer?. I always have to go back to the 22nd of jan to find you and our conversations which if i do not check up I miss the ;latest reply. I promise Iwon' t pick your brains regarding dogs, (Tia is doing well) nor abuse the use of. Good friends are never to be abused in any way.

2degrees below here! Oh for some HEAT!

Take care.

Grace.

Grace, I'm sorry but I'm not allowed to correspond with you in any manner other than this venue.

I'm afraid I would forget everybody's name! My daughter Megan is all I have left except for a few cousins. I moved back from Hawaii to be close to her. That's worked out nicely.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Oh dear!. I understand and will keep this channel open so if you ever come this way, you can let me know. Tia is fine, and of course you cannot remember everyone who asks your advice. Just hope you will keep my name somewhere tucked away in your subconsious! ! My e.mail is *****@******.***- to be used if ever you need to get in touch. My profession, both in the theatre and ministry is also subject to certain restrictions, like never divulgng what anyone says to me in private for a start, so I really do understand. Osmundsen is my married name.

Take care.

Grace.

No, no...I meant I wouldn't be able to remember all of the children, grandchildren, and grand-grand children's names! You're welcome to return to our conversation at your leisure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bless you. I saw myself disappering into the land of the forgotton! what a relief! Having had five children, and now 16 grandchildren and six great grandchildren. I have their names-(I do remember the original five) written down with their birthdates. Recently Samantha had her 23rd and i thought it was her 21st . So many of them I got it wrong. There is one thing though.- when we all get together it is an organized chaos and they bring their tents and camp in the paddock, but all end up in the house anyway for food etc and i just stay in the background and listen and try to see that most things are running smoothly. The dogs all come also and all get on together which is a relief. Must go . We have sun and rain today and a cold wind, but the house is warm which helps.

Take care. Grace

That's all quite foreign to such a curmudgeon as myself. It does sound like a lot of fun, however.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Our Tia died today. at 3.30.pm Greenich mean time. She was doing well but woke this morning very weak, and progressivly got weaker drinking plenty of water. I knew she was dying. She seemed to know it also. Richard her vet had the day off, bu the Boss of the Surgery came. I know him well. By the time he got here she had had two seizures and recovered, but the third time there was no recovery. her heart was fading. So I just held her, and Howard gave her a small amount of what vets normaly give very sick dogs, but Tia had nearly gone by then anyway.She was one of the sweetest dogs we knew,.Never growled, no any malice in her, and strangely in this last week was more playful than she had ever been for ages.before. And right up to her bedtime was fine. Being a rescue dog her age had been assessed as 14, but I think she was nearer 15, and that is a good age for an Alsation with a touch of collie in her- but mostly Alsation. We feel terrible. But from being discarded three times and very ill when we had her, she has had ten happy years.

But please keep in touch. I know as a vet on Just Answer you cannot give me your e.mail, maybe as a friend now Tia had died, you can!. But yiou have mine anyway. and if ever you come to the UK. youk now how to get in touch. Take care and thanks for the chats we have had. it has been good. Sincerely Grace.

My condolences for your loss of Tia, Grace. She was lucky to have you. Coming back to the UK is on my bucket list. You never know when I'll pop over!