Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

my 12 yr old retriever has just had her 2nd 'brain bleed' causing

Customer Question

my 12 yr old retriever has just had her 2nd 'brain bleed' causing her iris to appear to have rolled back into it's socket.
what causes this and is there anything I can do to prevent another one. She has been an assistance dog so is not overweight and otherwise healthy apart from signs of arthritis in 1 hip.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about sweet Nell's condition. There ae a number of causes for this but the most common is liver disease which can cause a lack of coagulants in the blood causing a brain bleed or bleeding in other areas. The first thing you need to do is to have your vet run a complete blood work if this has not already been done including a coagulation panel to rule out an autoimmune disease to determine if this is the cause. Treatment for this will be determined by the results of this workup.

I would also worry that Nell may have suffered a stroke that can cause this due to interfering with the nerve supply. This, often, can only be seen on a Cat Scan or MRI. This is the next step if the lab work does not show any abnormalities.

With any of these conditions, Nell can appear normal otherwise so the only way to know for sure is testing.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****
Thank you so much for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I really hope that sweet helpful Nell can get past this.

Have a wonderful day!!