How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Deb Your Own Question
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 10381
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Deb is online now

My 6 month old puppy has chew part of a Berginia tuber about

Customer Question

My 6 month old puppy has chew part of a Berginia tuber about 4 hours ago and is now in some distress when she urinates, i.e she is frequently doing little drips- is this cause by the Berginia?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be happy to help you. Begonias are toxic to dogs, but they usually cause intense oral irritation, drooling, vomiting and difficulty swallowing. What you are describing sounds more like a bladder infection. Since the toxic principle is insoluble oxalates, I suppose that oxalate crystals can cause bladder irritation, but I wouldn't expect it to start that quickly. Bladder issues aren't a common problem with this toxin, though. The tubers are the most toxic part of the plant, though. Since she seems in distress, I would have your vet check this out today and run a urinalysis on her to determine if there is an infection or crystals. They can give her some relief quickly as well because bladder infections can be painful. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Wrong plant- I said BERGINIA not Begonia. I have cancelled my payment.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry. I hadn't heard of this plant, and everything I used to search for it went back to Begonia. I will opt out and see if anyone else has anymore information on this plant. I haven't be able to find anything regarding toxicity, so it most likely isn't the cause of these signs.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.Even though you said you cancelled your payment, I wanted to reassure you that ingestion of Berginia wouldn't be toxic or cause the signs that you're describing for Holly.Rather, it sounds as if she might have a urinary tract infection which is actually more common than you might think in a dog this age.Unfortunately, if this is the case, then she'll need a urinalysis to confirm and antibiotics before improvement is seen but I would encourage more fluid intake which can help flush out the bladder.I hope this helps to reassure you that the Berginia shouldn't pose any problems for her but I'm certain that it is a constant challenge to keep her from eating appropriate things!! Deb
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

slightly better answer than the first one and I had already decided she has a UTI so going to see my vet,