Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

I put advocate flea and worm treatment on my spaniel a week

I put advocate flea and worm treatment on my spaniel a week ago and the next day he was breathing fast and seemed to have a fast heart beat it was not all the time two days later i took him to the vet who could not find anything wrong with him he is eating normaly and ready to go walk but he is still having periods of fast breathing etc. is it a reaction to the advocate if so how long will it last.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Jo :

,

Dr. Jo :

I'm Dr. Jo and I will do my best to help you with your questions about Merlin.

Dr. Jo :

I'm sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking information you need.

Dr. Jo :

To join the conversation, you may type in what you want to say and click REPLY.

Dr. Jo :

Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

Customer:

thankyou

Dr. Jo :

I'm very relieved to hear you took Merlin to the vet. While it's frustrating to not know what's going on, it's a relief to know the veterinarian says there isn't anything wrong with him.

Dr. Jo :

I'm going to pause the chat timer minute while I pull up my Advocate flea information.

Dr. Jo :

While I do that, can you please type in as to whether or not you've done anything to try to remove the product - bathing in special soaps, that kind of thing.

Customer:

why is he still breathing too fast and his heart rate is fast is ti possibly a reaction to the advocate

Customer:

no I bathed him with johnsons shampoo on wednesday

Dr. Jo :

Thank you . I'm back.

Dr. Jo :

Labored breathing has been reported in association with the use of Advocate. It is not common, but can occur and will typically last up to ten days.

Dr. Jo :

It is not associated with more serious side effects, so I hope that's a relief.

Dr. Jo :

Rapid heart rate can also occur, similarly.

Dr. Jo :

These side effects go away on their own, and no treatment is needed.

Dr. Jo :

That being said, there are also many other things that can cause rapid heart rate and fast breathing. In your particular case, we don't know Merlin's symptoms are due to the Advocate.

Dr. Jo :

But, fortunately, you've already had him examined by a vet, so it's much less likely that these symptoms are due to a serious problem.

Customer:

thankyou very much it is only 7 days since I put it on so hopefully he will rcover by Mon if not I will take him back to the vet you have helped to put my mind at rest

Dr. Jo :

If you have some reason to not trust your veterinarian's opinion, it would be wise to get a second opinion. The more diagnostic tests you have performed, the more certain the vet can be in concluding Merlin doesn't have a problem. The minimum database that should be collected on a dog with labored breathing and accelerated heart rate is a physical exam, CBC, chemistry panel, heartworm test, urinalysis, and chest x-rays.

Dr. Jo :

That's a huge workup, and if Merlin were my patient and I didn't see anything worrisome on a full physical exam, I'd probably feel a little guilty about recommending so much.

Dr. Jo :

I'm glad this has helped to put your mind at ease.

Dr. Jo :

I have an important phone number , but I apologize if I've looked up the wrong one.

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Jo :

I see you are in the United Kingdom. Are 1-800 phone numbers accessible to you there?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Jo :

Good.

Dr. Jo :

1-800-255-6826

Dr. Jo :

This is the Bayer Customer Service phone number. I'd advise calling them to discuss what's going on with Merlin.

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Jo :

They should be happy to take all the details on your case.

Dr. Jo :

They're interested in making sure their products are safe, so they want to hear about even mild side effects.

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Jo :

You're welcome. Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer:

no thank you you have been most helpful goodbye

Dr. Jo :

Thank you our website. To exit the chat, please enter a rating and accept.

Dr. Jo :

Thank you again.

Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.