Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My dog has been checked twice and both times the

My dog has been checked twice and both times the results have come
Back normal, she has all the symptoms hair loss, uncontrollable thirst, and peeing all
The time, also very bloated, when she is incontinent it is very sticky, she is 9years old,
A Minature Schnauzer.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Jo :

,

Dr. Jo :

I'm Dr. Jo and I will do my best to help you with your question about Mishka.

Dr. Jo :

I'm so sorry you're having this frustrating problem, but glad you are looking information you need.

Dr. Jo :

I'm quite hopeful there is still some help available .

Dr. Jo :

To join the conversation, simply type in what you want to say and click REPLY. Then we can chat back and forth until you 're satisfied with the information I've provided.

Dr. Jo :

Your story, sad as it is, is not terribly uncommon.

Dr. Jo :

Dealing with some of the more complex diseases that cause these symptoms is hard.

Dr. Jo :

As much as it pains me to say it, some vets will always have a hard time making a correct diagnosis when a dog presents symptoms.

Dr. Jo :

There are two possible reasons why Mishka's test has come back negative twice. It's either...

Dr. Jo :

1. They did something wrong with the test or there was an error with the test.

Dr. Jo :

2. Mishka has some other disease besides Cushings that is causing these symptoms.

Dr. Jo :

Since you've done this test twice, I think the second reason is more likely.

Dr. Jo :

If Mishka's blood work and urinalysis so far have ruled out the easier to find things like...

Dr. Jo :

-diabetes mellitus (sugar diabetes)

Dr. Jo :

-urinary tract infection

Dr. Jo :

-urinary stones (needs an x-ray)

Dr. Jo :

-kidney disease

Dr. Jo :

-liver disease

Dr. Jo :

Then there are some more complicated diseases that could still be there. They are

Dr. Jo :

-pyometra (infected uterus)

Dr. Jo :

-lymphoma or other types of cancers (sorry to scare you, but I need to be complete)

Dr. Jo :

-other types of adrenal gland disease (like Addisons or pheochromocytoma)

Dr. Jo :

-diabetes insipidus

Dr. Jo :

-psychogenic polydipsia.

Dr. Jo :

I have to admit it gets my attention when you said her urine is sticky.

Dr. Jo :

Am I assuming too much when I assume they have already looked mellitus (sugar diabetes)?

Dr. Jo :

Ah.

Dr. Jo :

I see you are now online.

Dr. Jo :

Does what I've said so far make sense?

Dr. Jo :

I'll pause the chat timer to give you the chance to type.

Dr. Jo :

My main point is that there are a lot of other diseases besides Cushings that can cause the symptoms you described, and your veterinarian will need to work through a very specific diagnostic process to determine which one it is. If your current veterinarian is stumped, you will need to be referred to someone who is more comfortable dealing with this type of case. Mishka needs a proper diagnosis so you know what treatment is needed.

Customer: They have not mentioned Diabetes,
Dr. Jo :

The test is very specific. It's used to determine if there's Cushings or not. It's also not easy to interpret and can be confusing. Most importantly, however, is that it will not show if the patient has diabetes or some other illness. That takes different testing.

Dr. Jo :

It's also important to differentiate that there's more than one type of diabetes.

Dr. Jo :

I really think it's time second opinion.

Dr. Jo :

As I said before, cases like this can be complicated and not every veterinarian is good at figuring them out. I'm so sorry - 's sake.

Dr. Jo :

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Dr. Jo :

I want to be sure I've given you the information you need.

Customer: Thank You, ***** ***** get a second Opinion,
Dr. Jo :

You may return to this page at any time to review the information or post more at no additional charge. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.

Dr. Jo :

You're welcome.

Dr. Jo :

If you're ready to leave the chat, you may do so by entering a rating and accepting.

Dr. Jo :

Thank you our website.

Dr. Jo :

In the meantime I'll keep my fingers crossed . I hope you get some answers soon.