Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

ourdog bit 3 people and we put him down but its killing me

Customer Question

ourdog bit 3 people and we put him down but its killing me as I think the advice we got
was wrong I think he was abused from a young pup and just was allways trying to
defend himself I cant handle it he was only 4 years old what can I do?.We have a beagle
as well and we got him as a month old pup and we never had any problems with him
but he misses the other dog as well we are all suffering.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

I am so sorry to hear about your situation, however I really don't think you should second guess yourself here.

Dr. Susan :

Human-directed aggression is the most problematic behavioral issue that we deal with in veterinary medicine.

Dr. Susan :

With other issues, such as inappropriate urination, the consequences are a minor inconvenience. If we have a failure in treatment, we simply need to clean up the urine puddle.

Dr. Susan :

If he had a single set back when dealing with aggression, the consequences could have been catastrophic.

Dr. Susan :

The risk to your family and other people was unacceptable.

Dr. Susan :

It doesn't mean you didn't love him. It doesn't mean that he wasn't justified in his mind . He was probably scared.

Dr. Susan :

It's a sad situation, but it doesn't change the fact that he could hurt a family member or a child.

Dr. Susan :

Again, I am so sorry that you are going through this, but I do support your decision 100%

Dr. Susan :

Please let me know if you have further questions. I will continue with you until I provide the service that you seek.