Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

my cocker spaniel has very dry patches under her chin,under

Customer Question

my cocker spaniel has very dry patches under her chin,under her arm pits.Skin is dark,very hitchy,and flakey.Also has a very runny ear.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Rebecca :

, I am sorry to hear about Pip's skin problem. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

It is hard to make a diagnosis without being able to see her, and check some things under a microscope, but this sounds like she might have a yeast infection in her ears and skin. Yeast skin infections turn the skin dark and are itchy. Cockers, with their heavy ears, are prone to ear infections with yeast and bacteria.

Rebecca :

If it is a yeast infection, it is secondary to some other problem, usually an allergy to food, or to something in the environment. If you only treat the yeast infection, it will keep coming back until the underlying allergic skin disease is also treated.

Rebecca :

If she were mine, I would start with doing skin scrapings, and looking at skin cells and hair follicles under a microscope, looking , bacteria, and yeast.

Rebecca :

If it appears to be a yeast infection, I would treat with frequent baths in an anti yeast shampoo like Ketochlor. I would treat the itching with antihistamines, fish oil, and possible a change in diet.

Rebecca :

If the antihistamines like Benadryl or Claritin ( I can give you dosages if you tell me her weight) do not control her scratching and itching, she may need prescription itch medication.

Rebecca :

Iam not seeing responses from you! I hope you can see what I am writing in this live chat. The website says you are online.

Rebecca :

Iwill try to connect with you another way, if I do not hear from you.

JACUSTOMER-rfa94tgf- :

so realy i should take her to a vet it sounds complicated i am new to this never had a pet before

Rebecca :

Cockers, as a breed, are prone to skin allergies. Working with a vet is best.

Rebecca :

Over the counter medications may not be enough. Usually prescription ear drops, shampoos, and medication are needed.

JACUSTOMER-rfa94tgf- :

thankyou advise

Rebecca :

You are welcome!

Rebecca :

Is there anything else I can answer, or help with?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you great rating.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thanks bonus!