Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

I have a cocker spaniel who is 2 1/2. He has just stared taking

Customer Question

I have a cocker spaniel who is 2 1/2. He has just stared taking interst in bitches and tried to mate with at the kennels.
Are we too late to have him neuted or will we still get the benefits. Also what are the benefits.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
,
Thank you about your dog. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
It is not too late to get him neutered. The benefits are that he will lose interest in bitches in heat, and not run off to find them. He will be less likely to be territorial, and get into scrapes with other male dogs.
He will be less likely to have prostate problems when he is older.
Most importantly, by neutering him, you will be helping to reduce the population of unwanted litters of puppies that end up in shelters, or dumped off in remote locations.
I do like to wait to neuter male dogs until they are a year or two old; them seem to be more sound and have fewer orthopedic problems. He may have a decreased risk of prostate cancer if he is neutered when he is years old than if he was neutered when younger. This is the perfect time; if I had a male pup, I would neuter him at 1 to 2 years of age.
Let me know what else I can answer or help with.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thanks good rating.
Rebecca