Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

My West Highland Terrier has started eating her faeces, not

My West Highland Terrier has started eating her faeces, not only do I find as a human horrible, but it does not make her very sweet smelling in the mouth area. Can you suggest the reason and how I can break the habit.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
,
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian 15 years. Thank you question. I know this act is pretty gross. Is she otherwise acting normal? No weight loss? No vomiting?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No weight loss, no vomiting, no difference I her beaviour

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Coprophagia is the eating of one's own stool. It isn't an activity that an owner likes to see their pet do. It is actually a biologically necessary act with rabbits, but this is not the case with dogs. The good news is that while this is totally gross, it medically causes them no harm.
There are formulated products that you can try putting on her food such as Forbid, that deter them from eating their own stools. It basically makes the stools taste foul to stop this habit. As far as another option is to sprinkle some Lawry's meat tenderizer on her food daily. This can have a good effect on some as far as making the stools taste more fowl. Since she is eating the other dog's stools too, feeding them the Forbid or Lawry's meat tenderizer sprinkled on the food would be needed there too. Unfortunately this may not work on all dog's as they may still not be deterred by the taste. In those situations, placing a couple drops of hot sauce on the stools can provide a deterrent.
Some will still practice the coprophagia despite all of these products. In those cases, physically removing the stool from the environment is needed.