Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 10-year old ***** ***** has arthritis, beginnings of

Customer Question

My 10-year old ***** ***** has arthritis, beginnings of cataracts, and is very sensitive to noise. Disturbance, especially at bedtime was causing her to act aggressively She is unwilling to go out walks unless both of us are with her. She has lost confidence and is very stressed. She is on Caprodyl arthritis and recently started Zylkene to see if it lessened her anxiety and therefore aggression. It does seem to be helping. She generally has a good appetite, (she on a senior food). She occasionally vomits, but she has done so more regularly in the past week. She's been off her food since yesterday, and this morning vomited pink mucus with blood flecks in it. I wonder if she has a tumour?

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Michael Salkin :

A gastrointestinal tumor is certainly a consideration but hematemesis - blood in the vomit - can be caused by many, many things - bleeding disorders, heavy metal intoxication, infectious disorders, gastroduodenal erosion/ulceration, metabolic disorders, stress erosion/ulceration, drug administration, foreign bodies, neoplasia (as you're concerned about), hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, and esophageal disorders. The first thing you must do is stop administering the carprofen (Caprodyl). Nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are a very common cause of gastrointestinal ulceration and subsequent hematemesis. Dosing her with an over the counter antacid such as Pepcidtwo at a dose of 0.2mg/kg of the famotidine in that product twice daily should afford her some protection and comfort. Her vet can prescribe a GI protectant such as sucralfate. In general, hematemesis should be addressed by a vet if only because the vet can perform the diagnostic testing to clarify the various etiologies of hematemesis. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Thank you kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few days update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update, please?