Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

I have a year old standard poodle. The breeder informed us

I have a year old standard poodle. The breeder informed us that our puppy's mother has died very suddenly on Saturday, after starting the day as a healthy four year old bitch. She had stomach bloat and a twisted gut. Sorry I can not remember the technical terms . Is my puppy more at risk of the same thing happening to her because of her mother? My pup is due to be spayed in two weeks time and she could have her stomach stitched to stop it from twisting at the same time. I don't know what to do best interest. Is there other implications to having it stitched? Or is it the best thing to do because she may be at a higher risk now. Can you inform me further and your advice would be very welcome.
Clair
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
,
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian 15 years. Thank you question. I'm sorry to hear about this situation with the loss of Rana's mother. Rana isn't more at risk just because this happened to her mother. She's more at risk because of her breed / conformation. Bigger, deep chested dogs are at more risk - standard poodles, danes, german shepherds, etc.. You have asked a very, very, very good question about having her stomach tacked at the time of her spay. This is a very good preventative step to take that is pretty easy to do at the time of the spay. Basically during the spay, the stomach is tacked (attached) to the abdominal wall with suture where it should form scar tissue to permanently adhere it there. This should keep it from twisting in the future. When I get a deep chested dog as a pup in the future, I will absolutely preventatively tack him when he / she is young. At my ER clinic, there is usually a GDV (stomach twist) about once every couple weeks. It is truly a very serious emergency that can happen in a heart beat.
Here is a great link on GDV's to read.
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=672
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dr Bruce,

Thank you advice so far but I also asked about the possible implication dog once her stomach is stitched. Could she have problems in the her life from having the stomach stitched? Sickness or digestion problems and such?

Regards,

Clair

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
There aren't any specific implications / risks the stomach tacked into place. This specific tacking procedure is what is done as the treatment when a GDV happens. There shouldn't be any long term issues with doing it if it is done correctly. Again, I would absolutely have no hesitation doing it on any deep chested dog that I own in the future.