Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My small terrier is having these spates of breathing out hard

Customer Question

My small terrier is having these spates of breathing out hard through her nose and snorting, three or four times a day days now, should I be worried?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Joey :

I am Dr. Joey. Thanks me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

Are you familiar with what a reverse sneeze is? Is this the type of heave snort-sneeze Lily is doing.

If you are not familiar with what this may be here are some videos to review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UyBrb0Hhpk

Dr. Joey :

My top suspicion is that this may be reverse sneeze episodes. They are not a critical emergency, but do indicate there is irritation in the back of the throat where the oral cavity meets the nasal cavity. Sometimes it can be a post nasal drip problem, or there could be a foreign object trapped (such as a leaf or blade of grass or something else) or an infection or even just due to allergies.

Dr. Joey :

Please let me know your questions.

JACUSTOMER-3ga0cv6j- :

Thank you. ***** get her checked out?

Dr. Joey :

If this is a sudden onset of the short/sneeze (reverse sneeze) or even just heavy snorting then I do recommend an exam. At a minimum your vet may recommend treat this as if it is a bacterial infection (such as infectious tracheobronchitis) or may want to perform sedation to view the back of her throat.

Dr. Joey :

In the meantime an antihistamine can sometimes provide some relief temporarily if this is due to allergies, such as diphenhydramine (the dose is 1 mg per pound every 12 hours) which you can buy over-the-counter.

Dr. Joey :

Please keep me posted. I am always happy to questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit . My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon!