Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

my dog is a cross a little pom and terrier about 12 yrs old

my dog is a cross a little pom and terrier about 12 yrs old and has gone blind very quiickley since before christmas 2014 and is now very agressive when disturbed she snaps and would bite. she was not like that before she went blind.i have takken her to my vet she is not diabetic and all bloods were within normal limits. have u any advice to make her more comfortable and if possible less agressive thank you.ann
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
there and thank you question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 9 years of experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you.

Does she have cataracts? Or do her eyes look normal, but she just can't see? Did they check her blood pressure?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes she has cataracts in both eyes which came on very quickly and was in good health until about christmas staying in bed would not go and about this time she got very aggressive and would snap if i went to move or settle her in bed.she was not like this she loved to be rubbed and would scratch u just to remind to rub her in a friendly way ,i miss my little dog and she is so unhappy/uncomfortable it breaks my heart,is there anything i can do to make her life more comfortable ? no her B/P was not checked what would an abnormal reading suggest and how would it be treated,thank you ann

Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, that helps. I was wondering about the blood pressure only if she did not have cataracts, but she does, so that is irrelevant. Okay. If she is painful, sometimes acute onset cataracts can cause lens swelling, which can increase the pressure inside the eye (intraocular pressure) which can be painful. I would have your vet check her eye pressures to make sure she is not having secondary glaucoma. If her eye pressures are normal. I would investigate a different cause ... in this size and age of dog, back pain is very common. Symptoms can include not wanting to walk much, not jumping up or down much, acting painful when petted or touched or picked up. Glaucoma and eye pain are treatable, but need to be diagnosed. Back pain is treatable with steroids or anti-inflammatory pain medications .
While you are waiting to see a vet, try to find someone (friend, family member) who has access to Tramadol. It is a human pain medication, prescription, and it can help keep her comfortable in the short term. You would give her 1/4 of a 50mg tablet every 8-12 hours as needed management.
I would also consider that anxiety may be playing a role here, due to acute blindness. I would go on Amazon.com and purchase her an Adaptil collar. They are pheromone collars , and they release a calming and soothing pheromone which relieves anxiety and can help ease her into this new stage of inability to see.
I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank u so much advice any help with regards to feeding --finding her food bowl see keeps moving as i move it nearer her she will lick the outside or edge of the bowl the next move is the one she has a problem with even with her favourite foods.( as u understand a white stick is no use to her and a bit old to take on braill lessons!!) ann

Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
In the short-term, you're likely going to have to hand feed her. I would use things like boiled pieces of chicken breast and low-sodium crackers to hand feed her. But I would keep her food bowl in the exact same spot rather than bringing it to her, and I would take her to it several times a day so that she gets used to where it is. I would feed her canned food from now on, because she can smell it better, and because it has more moisture in it in case she can't find her food bowl often enough. It is best to keep a very simple floorplan in your home, and be careful not to leave things sitting on the floor, and do not change anything. Something as small as a chair left not pushed in can become a problem blind dog. You may want to look into this product:
http://www.muffinshalo.com/order-muffins-halo.php
Good luck, and have a great weekend! I am headed out of town rest of the weekend and will have limited Internet access, but if you have further questions I can do my best to try to answer them.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience: ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005