DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

my dog is drinking normally but can't go to toilet, he is just

my dog is drinking normally but can't go to toilet, he is just leaking, I have been told he has a full bladder but not to worry and he is making himself sore when cleaning.
Category: Dog
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 2 years ago.
DrMelJ :

there. Thanks question. Let me see if I can help

DrMelJ :

Let me clarify....he is unable to actively urinate on his own? It just leaks out of him randomly?

DrMelJ :

How long has this been going on?

DrMelJ :

Can he control his hind legs? Or does he seem to have any other clinical signs?

DrMelJ :

If you can help me with these questions, I will be able to assist you better. Thanks

Customer:

he is unable to urinate on his own, I take him walk he is trying but nothing is coming out. He can control his hind legs, its be going on three days.

DrMelJ :

Ok Thanks info

DrMelJ :

He may have a blocked urethra

DrMelJ :

This can be caused by a stone or crystal from the bladder or a mass or a lot of swelling if he has been licking a lot

DrMelJ :

This is a serious issue and he needs to see a vet as soon as possible. They can pass a tube up his urethra to determine if something is lodged in it and try to relieve his bladder

DrMelJ :

In some cases surgery is necessary

DrMelJ :

Another possibility would be a neurologic issue that is keeping him from actively urinating. Kidney disease could also be a cause.

DrMelJ :

He really needs to see a vet to determine what is going on. But not being able to urinate is not something his body can tolerate long.

DrMelJ :

Those would be my concerns. There is very little you can do at home unfortunately

DrMelJ :

I hope this has been helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer:

thank you. I am sorry it's taken alittle long to get back computer had melt down.

DrMelJ :

No problem. Good luck. I hope your dog feels better soon.