Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My seven year old staffie has started to develop lumps on g

Customer Question

His body they are large and last a week at a time then go for a few weeks they have a scab on top of them apart from that very well in himself and been flead
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Are the lumps above or below the skin?
2- How big are they?
3- How many lumps?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

On top of the skin and are the size of a large boil,once a small scab forms on the top they go.I have not changed his diet

Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 9 years of experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you.
Can you attach a photo of one of these?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He has not got any at the moment ,I have taken him to a vet who seemed to think that the flea treatment I was using was not good enough so I paid out for front line and a week later they came up again when they first started about seven months ago he only had one and I thought it was a tick as he had been in a forest but the vet said it wasn't,now two or three come up at a time,they don't seem to bother him or itch.hope this helps

This is indeed puzzling. Let me do a little research and get back to you. How big are they? 1 cm? 1 inch?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They variety sometimes they are about 1cm and bigger ones about 3cm,they don't appear on face only body but not his belly,his diet has not changed ,I have stopped using house fragrances and changed soap powder on bedding.I have cut out foods one at a time no difference.the only way I can describe them is like a boil that we would get with a small scab on top which is clear in colour,sorry probably not helping!

I did some research today and I can find nothing. I will "opt out" and see if another expert can figure out what these are. As this is an odd case, please be patient. Good luck!
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
If the content of these "bumps" is clear fluid, they would be vesicles which are pathognomonic (particularly indicative) of autoimmune-skin disease such as vasculitis and the pemphigus complex. Biopsying an active lesion should be confirmative. Alternatively, you're seeing furuncular ("boils") lesions typical of a deep pyoderma (bacterial skin infection) more commonly seen in Staffies than many other breeds. Biopsy would identify pyoderma as well but a fluid-filled lesion could be needle aspirated by his vet and microscopically examined for the presence of bacteria.

I would very much like to see a photo of an active lesion once one appears again. You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I hope to hear from you soon. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.