Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog comes out in tumours on his chest,they go away but come

My dog comes out in tumours on his chest,they go away but come back every so often,he also has blood in his poo,this also only last day and then goes away but comes back a few weeks later,he is well in himself,what can it be?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Does he have diarrhea?
3- Any other symptoms?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply .

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This has been going on of his life,the diorhorea has improved since I changed his diet,although there is still blood present in his stools,he is unwell and the next day he,s fine again.The only other symptoms are the tumours on his chest,and they too have improved.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Are the tumors below or above the skin?
2- To make sure I got this right, you are seeing that the tumors go away and then come back?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The tumours are above the skin,they puff right up and then deflate and are like flappy bits of skin.they stay like that while and then puff up again.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Wendy, I believe the tumors that you are seeing are cyst. These are benign fluid filled lumps, if they are bothering your dog he will need to have them surgically removed.

As far as the blood in the stool it is a sign of inflammation in the colon (large intestines). There could be many possible causes. It will be difficult to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. The fact this has been ongoing a long time and it is intermittently I would place intestinal parasites high on the list of possible causes.This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.

2- Change his diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity and inflammatio. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Get him dewormed. I would use panacur (fenbendazole) once a day days, repeat after 3 weeks. You can buy panacur from vet's office, pet store or online (amazon.com).

5- If after doing the above you do not see improvement I would have him checked by your family veterinarian hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter