Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

my 11mth. old miniature labradoodle has been off her food for

my 11mth. old miniature labradoodle has been off her food few days now although
she has lots of energy. I have looked in her mouth and she seems to have a much
smaller tooth right at the back. Is it possible that she may be teething ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that your girl is off her food past few days, even with normal amounts of energy.
It is very doubtful that teething has anything to do with her decrease in appetite. Dogs are finished with getting their permanent teeth by 6 to 7 months of age, so at 11 months this is really too late to be a teething issue.
At 11 months of age her rapid rate of growth will be slowing down considerably, she likely doesn't need as many calories as she did before. At this age feeding her two meals a day is fine. Most healthy adult dogs with a normally functioning appetite center will skip meals here and there. Dogs that are not super food oriented self regulate, and if they aren't burning calories and aren't hungry they don't eat.
If your girl is of normal weight, has a great coat and skin condition, is still playful, active and drinking normally I would not worry too much about her as long as she is still eating some.
I worry when dogs are too thin, skipping several days of meals in a row, and are lethargic or start vomiting and drinking a tremendous amount of water.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.