Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My poodle is suddenly getting a gurgling tummy first thing

My poodle is suddenly getting a gurgling tummy first thing in am. Looks for grass to eat. Once he has eaten it stops, but he finds it very distressing until then. Taill down, shaking and sounds from tummy like a boiling cauldron.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

We do see this as a common problem often due to overnight overproduction of gastric acid. One very easy thing you could do a trial of is first give a small snack at bedtime to have something on the stomach overnight.

Dr. Joey :

Second, you can administer an antacid such as famotidine (at 10mg given at some point between 6pm-10pm) to reduce stomach acid overnight. You can purchase this medication for people at any pharmacy. There are no bad side effects and in most situations will resolve the problem.

Dr. Joey :

If it does not resolve the problem and/or he progresses to vomit/diarrhea, then this indicates he must be seen. There may be something more serious going on such as he swallowed something that is not passing through well, intestinal parasites, inflammatory bowel disease and the list continues.

Dr. Joey :

Please let me know your questions, and confirm you were able to see my replies above (this system can sometimes be glitchy about allowing you to see my responses).

Dr. Joey :

I am concerned you cannot see my replies since you have not responded. I will wait a few more minutes but if I do not hear from you I may have to switch us to the other setting. Again, I find this live chat to sometime be frustrating with us not seeing each other's replies. :(

Customer:

I don't think he has swallowed anything. Do you think it would be alright to administer Drontal Plus wormer ? I normally use that and have it at home ? It must be several months since he was last treated by me.

Dr. Joey :

Yes, you may do this as well. If you are worried about use of famotidine, please phone his vet tomorrow to talk about this trial. It's cured many a pet for me with this.

Customer:

thank you I will try and get some.