Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My dog which is a Tibetan Terrier has been in some discomfort.

Customer Question

My dog which is a Tibetan Terrier has been in some discomfort. He appears to have on his lower stomach a swollen area which when touched contracts and he sometimes winces. He also squeels sometimes when he tries to jump on the bed or sofa, could you please advise me and also any vets or organisations that would treat my dog for free as I am currently, in between jobs having moved back from abroad. Thank you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 9 years of experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you.

Is your dog still having issues? How much does your dog weigh? Do you have access to aspirin or to the human pain medication Tramadol?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for you reply, in answer to your question Kimba is around 12 kilos, although I would have access to human aspirin and tramadol I wouldn't want to give these to him. I hope this information helps.

Can I ask why you would not want to give them to him? Tramadol is used very commonly in dogs to treat back pain, which is what I suspect your dog has. It is a very safe drug without side effects.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your recent reply, I am sure that the problem lies in my dogs stomach as there is swelling and contracts to touch, could it be that it manifests itself in a different area?? I just would want to give him something for back pain if I wasn't sure that's where the pain was. Would you suggest my dog Would you think

Back pain is often confused with abdominal pain, because the abdominal muscles and the back muscles support each other. When dogs have back pain, the abdomen often feels hard and looks distended, and when you touch it the muscles contract, and that is all from back pain. This is a very common thing. I suspect back pain is the only problem with your dog. Tramadol comes in 50 mg tablets, and the dosage for your dog would be a half tablet every eight hours. Rest your dog as much as possible and limit all running and jumping for the next two weeks. You can use a bag of frozen vegetables wrapped in a thin towel to cold compress the spine for five minutes a day, usually right in the center of the back.
I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.