Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Help!! My dog ingested some of my cough linctus this morning

Help!! My dog ingested some of my cough linctus this morning which contained Ipecacuanha & Morphine. He is constantly vomiting and I cant get to my Vet until tomorrow. In tears and worried.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any other symptoms besides vomiting?
2- How many milligrams did he ingest?
3- How much does your dog weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He ingested about 1 mg of the linctus. He weighs approx. 18 Kg. Very lethargic, not walking about very much at all, as if he is in another world daft as it sounds. Not himself at all. Not eaten all day and drank very little

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Is he having trouble breathing?
2- How often is he vomiting?
3- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Gums pink. He has breathing problems for which he has been prescribed Corvental - 200mg and steroids (Prednisolone) 10mg daily- but has not taken them today because of his vomiting which is happening about every hour or so.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Maureen, the vomiting is secondary to the linctus as you already know. This is what you can do until he is seen by family veterinarian in the morning.

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian in the morning.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Dr Peter. Don't know where to get Zantac at this time of the night (10:30) but will stay up with him tonight and take him to my Vet in the morning. Thanks again

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
You can buy Zantac over the counter in any 24 hours pharmacy (chemist). If you don't have a chemist open just remove the food and water as described above.

You're welcome.

Dr. Peter