Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

when out walking our German shepherd will suddenly jump up

Customer Question

when out walking our German shepherd will suddenly jump up at us from behind. We have tried talking to him whilst walking, we have chastised him and we have put him on a lead but none of these things atop him. Once started he tends to get a bit hype and can't stop but this is in an excited mode, no aggresion. What action can you advise please.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

The first thing you need to do, if it has not already been done is to neuter him. This behavior may be related to hormonal stimulation. If Titus is neutered, then purchase a DAP Collar at the pet store. This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent and may help settle him down. The next step is to take him back to obedience school or have a trainer work with Titus and you. Most often, this is due to playing that he thinks is good but is not appropriate behavior and discipline is the only way to stop this behavior.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****
Thank you so much, Ray, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope this will help Titus calm down.

Have a wonderful day!!