Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

have took my dog to the vets was given a paste

have took my dog to the vets for dioarea was given a paste i think she may have a touch of colitis is there anything i can use with out going back to the vets as it cost allot money and i cannot afford it till my next pension is due.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Is she losing weight?
3- Any other symptoms?
4- Is she currently on any medications?
5- How long has it been since she was examined by family veterinarian?
6- Did your vet prescribed any medications for the diarrhea?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

about 5 days no and she is not loosing any weight she is eating and drinking very well just finished pro-koalin paste . was saw by the vet last saturday only prescribed the paste.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Elizabeth, diarrhea can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. You see, stopping the diarrhea with medication can make things worst if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- I would phone your family veterinarian and request a medication called Metronidazole (flagyl). If they saw her on Saturday they can dispense the medication without any additional charges except the cost of the medication. Or, request a prescription and have it filled in your local pharmacy (chemist) it may be less expensive.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter