Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

have took my dog to the vets was given a paste

have took my dog to the vets for dioarea was given a paste i think she may have a touch of colitis is there anything i can use with out going back to the vets as it cost allot money and i cannot afford it till my next pension is due.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Is she losing weight?
3- Any other symptoms?
4- Is she currently on any medications?
5- How long has it been since she was examined by family veterinarian?
6- Did your vet prescribed any medications for the diarrhea?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

about 5 days no and she is not loosing any weight she is eating and drinking very well just finished pro-koalin paste . was saw by the vet last saturday only prescribed the paste.

Elizabeth, diarrhea can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. You see, stopping the diarrhea with medication can make things worst if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- I would phone your family veterinarian and request a medication called Metronidazole (flagyl). If they saw her on Saturday they can dispense the medication without any additional charges except the cost of the medication. Or, request a prescription and have it filled in your local pharmacy (chemist) it may be less expensive.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter