Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I think my dog ate one of my anti-inflammatory tablets, last

I think my dog ate one of my anti-inflammatory tablets, last evening.i am not 100% sure, however, she was sick a few times during the night and also a couple of times this morning.
Any advice, please?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

What was the exact ingredient in the medication you are concerned Cookie might have ingested?

Customer: The tablet is called Naproxen500mg.
Dr. Joey :

And how much does she weigh?

Customer: She weighs approx 25kg
Dr. Joey :

Then this is very concerning. The drug is often in the body for upwards of 74 hours. There is no "safe" dose in dogs, and this would be considered an overdose, should she have ingested it.

My top recommendation is to have Cookie examined today by her veterinarian. She needs to have some lab work performed to check her liver/kidneys. There is also a huge risk of digestive tract ulcerations (stomach, intestines) which can lead to vomiting, lack of appetite and melena (black stools from digested blood). Therefore treatment to support digestive tract ulcerations is indicated (misoprostel, sucralfate).

Customer: Okay. Thank you very much. I will make an appointment immediately.
Dr. Joey :

Please keep me posted. I am quite worried about Cookie. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.

Customer: Ok. I am just on my way to the vet, where they are going to do some sort of toxic check.