Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

in flamed glands

in flamed glands
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

Which glands are inflamed (lymph nodes, anal sacs, etc)?

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. Please view my replies above I really need more information to know which "glands" you refer to and what question in particular you have about this issue. If you could please describe the problem, and I assume these are medications your vet has prescribe to attempt to treat the issue or are these drugs you have used in the past?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

anal sacs

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Anal sac issues can be quite frustrating. If the glands are infected it could take weeks to resolve this. The first step I usually take for my patients is, of course, expression of the glands (by your vet) and then treatment with an anti-inflammatory (can use either a non steroidal anti-inflammatory such as carprofen or a steroid such s prednisone) to help with pain and inflammation in combination with an antibiotic; the most current thought is that metronidazole seems to be the most effective. We treat for 3 weeks. Then recheck. If no improvement and still infected, then we must flush the glands and infuse them directly with an antibiotic/steroid solution (done by your vet). This usually resolves the infection and, if not, then we must culture the glands to find out what infection is present and what antibiotic might clear this
In addition to the therapy above increasing the fiber content in the diet can also help to naturally express the anal sacs This can be accomplished by either 1)add canned pumpkin 1 T per meal or 2)Change to a high fiber prescription diet as directed by your vet.
It is also important to understand the underlying cause of anal sac infection. If she also has skin issues then this can be related to the underlying allergic skin disease. Our most common allergies that cause skin and anal sac issues include food allergy or atopic dermatitis (environmental allergy). This requires working with your vet to sort out. If this is a first-time occurrence then I usually recommend treat and then see if there is relapse within 8 weeks. If so, then doing a hypoallergenic food trial with a hydrolyzed diet for 8-12 weeks is indicated to know if this could be a food allergy.
Please view my replies above in answer to your question. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience: 15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine