Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

I bought a toy poodle at xmas .from a privete house she is

Customer Question

I bought a toy poodle at xmas .from a privete house she is 6 years old.i do not know if she was abused or not she was very timed she is a lot better now she is house trained.but she will not go out for a walk when I put a lead on her she will not move I carry her to the corner of my road she will walk back but will not go pass my drive.i am 84 years old she is good company for me but I would like to take her for small walks . could you give me some advice please . maud XXX

Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear of the problem you are having with Bonner.

Rebecca :

I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

I don't know if she was abused, or just never trained to walk on a leash.

Rebecca :

One good place to start would be a good obedience class.

Rebecca :

When I did an obedience class with my dog, one trick they taught us to get a dog to walk on a leash was "luring" her by getting a wooden spoon, and carrying a can of spray cheese. You put the cheese on the spoon, and walk with her on a leash, holding the spoon in front of her.

Rebecca :

The trick is to hold the spoon just right so she can get it, but she has to walk to get it.

Rebecca :

I hope you can see what I am writing! I am not seeing responses from you in this live chat.

Rebecca :

I can try another way to connect with you, if live chat is not working for us.

Rebecca :

If you try the luring, start doing it inside, and work up to going outside.

Rebecca :

It really is best to have someone show you how to do it, like a dog trainer.

JACUSTOMER-nrkx32lm- :

i will give anything a try.

Rebecca :

Then an obedience class may be the best place to start, but you could try the luring technique at home.

Rebecca :

When you do the luring, give a command like Heel, or With Me.

Rebecca :

So she learns that the command means the same as walking on a leash, for the treat.

JACUSTOMER-nrkx32lm- :

i do not know if there are any classes by me

Rebecca :

You could ask local humane shelter, veterinarian, or pet supply store about classes or trainer.

JACUSTOMER-nrkx32lm- :

i will ask around

Rebecca :

That really is best. Are you living in a remote area, no town or city?

JACUSTOMER-nrkx32lm- :

no i live in Halesowen

Rebecca :

I am in the US so I don't know where that is!

Rebecca :

Is that a town?

JACUSTOMER-nrkx32lm- :

sorry i did not know that it is a small town

Rebecca :

Then I would ask your local vet or shelter, and see what they say. There may be someone that does dog training.

JACUSTOMER-nrkx32lm- :

thank you

Rebecca :

You are welcome!

Rebecca :

Is there anything else I can answer?

Rebecca :

I will be checking back to see how she is doing.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian for more than 30 years
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the positive rating.