Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a nine year old shi-tsu who has just started roaming

Customer Question

I have a nine year old shi-tsu who has just started roaming around licking the floor as though picking up scraps of food where there arn't any. Has had varying droppings from very hard to loose recently?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Argos's behavior is consistent with gastrointestinal distress/gastroesophageal reflux/acid reflux/heartburn. Excessive licking of inanimate objects is a clue to look further for the cause of the upset. His change in stool is the other clue that GI upset is present.

In most cases a simple dietary indiscretion such as ingesting something new, inappropriate, spoiled, or perhaps a non-food item has occurred and such an indiscretion should be self-limiting within 3 days. More serious problems involving major organs such as hepatitis and pancreatitis, however, may also underlie such behavior. If Argos has been symptomatic for more than 3 days, it would be prudent to have his vet take a look at him and perform a thorough physical exam including diagnotics in the form of blood and urine tests +/- abdominal X-rays or ultrasound. If his behavior is new, administering an over the counter antacid such as PepcidTwo at a dose of 0.5 mg/kg twice daily of the famotidine in the PepcidTwo may suffice.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Noted your comments and will try.

I've set a follow-up for 02/18.
May I have an update on Argos, please?